Notice: Yearly invoices are no longer mass mailed at the beginning of the Calendar Year.
For Reciprocity Notifications or questions, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For Industrial Radiography Exams, please contact Yoshika Eason at: Yoshika.Eason@dnr.ga.gov
For General Licensing, please contact Monica Johnson at: Monica.Johnson@dnr.ga.gov
The Radiation Control Act was passed by the Georgia Legislature in 1964. This Act allowed the State of Georgia to enter into an agreement with the former Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) to assume regulatory responsibilities over byproduct, source, and certain special nuclear materials. The agreement was signed by the Governor and the AEC on December 15, 1969, making Georgia an Agreement State. Currently, there are 37 Agreement States in the U.S.
In 1990, the Radiation Control Act was amended to transfer the Radioactive Materials Program to the Department of Natural Resources. The X-Ray Control Program remained with the Diagnostic Services Unit in the Department of Human Resources.
The Radioactive Materials Program is responsible for regulating radioactive material in the state. The office is located at 4244 International Parkway, Suite 120, Atlanta, GA 30354
Radioactive Materials Program Functions
Licensing and Inspections. The Radioactive Materials Program has issued more than 1,350 licenses since its inception in 1969. The Program has approximately 500 active licenses, which includes reciprocal approvals of out-of-state and NRC licensees who perform regulated activities in the State of Georgia. Our license reviewers evaluate new and renewal license applications as well as notification, amendment and termination requests.
The Program performs inspections throughout the year. Each in-state licensee is assigned to a category from I to V, which is consistent with Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) requirements that are based on potential risks to the licensee and the public. Category I licensees represent the highest potential risks while Category V licensees represent the least. Category I licensees, such as industrial radiographers, are inspected at least annually while Category V licensees, such as portable gauge users, may be inspected once every five years.
Out-of-state licensees operating under reciprocity are inspected on a percentage basis.
- Review and approve Shielding Calculations, e.g., HDR, Cyclotrons
- Administer the Industrial Radiographer Examination
- Addresses public concerns and answer questions regarding radioactive material
- Provide additional educational assistance through licensing guides, notices and bulletins, workshops and seminars
- Coordinate with other regulatory agencies to provide reciprocity for their licensees performing work in Georgia
Rules And Regulations
- The use of radioactive material in the State of Georgia is regulated by Chapter 391-3-17 “Rules and Regulations for Radioactive Materials.” The rules are revised periodically to maintain compatibility with NRC regulations.
- By law, the Program is required to conduct public hearings for comments on any Proposed Rule Making during the proposed rule phase.
The Environmental Radiation Program is responsible for emergency response throughout the State of Georgia.
- When an emergency occurs involving a licensee, staff from the Radioactive Materials Program may assist the Environmental Radiation Program in evaluating the incident.
- The Radioactive Materials Program is also prepared to assist the Environmental Radiation Program with Emergency Response at facilities that are licensed by the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
|Team Leader||Irene Bennett||Irene.Bennett@dnr.ga.gov|
|License Reviewer/Inspector||Joel Mims||Joel.Mims@dnr.ga.gov|
|License Reviewer/Inspector||Gregory Reese||Gregory.Reese@dnr.ga.gov|
|License Reviewer/Inspector||Shatavia Walker||Shatavia.Walker@dnr.ga.gov|
|License Reviewer/Inspector||Yoshika Eason||Yoshika.Eason@dnr.ga.gov|
|License Reviewer/Inspector||Monica Johnson||Monica.Johnson@dnr.ga.gov|
|License Reviewer/Inspector||John Hays||John.Hays@dnr.ga.gov|
|License Reviewer/Inspector||Irvin Gibson||Irvin.Gibson@dnr.ga.gov|