UST Operator: Class A, B, and C
Operator Class Definitions
- Class A operators are ultimately responsible for ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Class B operators are responsible for the day-to-day aspects of operating and maintaining the UST system, record keeping, and informing the proper persons when repairs or maintenance is needed.
- Class C operators must have the knowledge and skills to take appropriate actions (including notifying appropriate authorities) in response to emergencies or alarms caused by spills or releases from the UST system. A Class C operator must be onsite when the UST system is in use and when the tanks are being filled.
Operator Training Requirements for All UST Facilities
Note: You may receive a security warning when clicking on some of the links below. Please choose “Allow” and your browser will redirect to the appropriate page.
All UST facilities, including those with tanks in temporary-out-of-use (TOU) status, must have at least one Class A and Class B operator. The Class A operator and the Class B operator may be the same person or they may be different people. Facilities that do not have a certified Class A and B operator cannot complete tank registration and will be in violation of the Georgia Rules for Underground Storage Tank Management.
In addition to having at least one Class A and Class B operator, all active UST facilities must also have one or more Class C operators. Each designated Class C operator may be trained by a Class A or Class B operator or complete a training course. The Class C operator must be an employee that is physically present at the facility. Most UST facilities will have more than one Class C operator.
Approved Training Courses
- Classroom and In-Person Training Providers (Class A and B Operator)
- Online Training Providers (Class A and B Operator)
- Online Combined Class A and B Operator Course (Note: external link to South Carolina training)
- Online Individual Class A and B Operator Courses (Note: external link to Tennessee training. Make sure you complete all modules in the Class B course)
- Operator Training Courses (Class C Operator)
- Class C Operators can be trained in the field by a Class A/B Operator. The certificate located below will need to be completed and submitted to EPD.
Submitting Your Operator Certificates
Scan and email copies of your operator certificates and the Notification of Class A, B, and C Operators form to [email protected]. If the course you completed did not provide a certificate number, contact EPD. A reciprocity form is no longer required.
We hope you find the information on this site useful. If you are unable to find what you are looking or have questions, please email [email protected] or call 404.362.2687.