Radioactive Materials Program
Apply for Radioactive Materials License
Note: For x-ray producing machines (such as those used in Healthcare), please contact the Department of Community Health at (404) 657-5400.
Radioactive Material Program fees were due on or before Aug 31. Due to the continuing public health state of emergency, the program is providing a grace period until September 30, 2020. There is no need to contact the program directly, however please send in your payment as soon as possible.
Radioactive Materials Program
- For Reciprocity Notifications or questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For Industrial Radiography Exams, email email@example.com with ‘IR Exam’ in the subject line.
- For General Licensing, contact Leslines Leveque at Leslines.Leveque@dnr.ga.gov.
- For DOT Exemptions, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call/fax at the above number.
The Radiation Control Act was passed by the Georgia Legislature in 1964. This Act allowed the State of Georgia to enter into an agreement with the former Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) to assume regulatory responsibilities over byproduct, source, and certain special nuclear materials. The agreement was signed by the Governor and the AEC on December 15, 1969, making Georgia an Agreement State. Currently, there are 37 Agreement States in the U.S.
In 1990, the Radiation Control Act was amended to transfer the Radioactive Materials Program to the Department of Natural Resources. The X-Ray Control Program remained with the Diagnostic Services Unit in the Department of Human Resources.
The Radioactive Materials Program is responsible for regulating radioactive material in the state.
Radioactive Materials Program Functions
Licensing and Inspections. The Radioactive Materials Program has issued more than 1,350 licenses since its inception in 1969. The Program has approximately 500 active licenses, which includes reciprocal approvals of out-of-state and NRC licensees who perform regulated activities in the State of Georgia. Our license reviewers evaluate new and renewal license applications as well as notification, amendment and termination requests.
The Program performs inspections throughout the year. Each in-state licensee is assigned to a category from I to V, which is consistent with Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) requirements that are based on potential risks to the licensee and the public. Category I licensees represent the highest potential risks while Category V licensees represent the least. Category I licensees, such as industrial radiographers, are inspected at least annually while Category V licensees, such as portable gauge users, may be inspected once every five years.
Out-of-state licensees operating under reciprocity are inspected on a percentage basis.
- Review and approve Shielding Calculations, e.g., HDR, Cyclotrons
- Administer the Industrial Radiographer Examination
- Addresses public concerns and answer questions regarding radioactive material
- Provide additional educational assistance through licensing guides, notices and bulletins, workshops and seminars
- Coordinate with other regulatory agencies to provide reciprocity for their licensees performing work in Georgia
Rules And Regulations
- The use of radioactive material in the State of Georgia is regulated by Chapter 391-3-17 “Rules and Regulations for Radioactive Materials.” The rules are revised periodically to maintain compatibility with NRC regulations. The recent updated rule book can be downloaded here at .
- By law, the Program is required to conduct public hearings for comments on any Proposed Rule Making during the proposed rule phase.
|Program Manager 1||Irene Bennett||Irene.Bennett@dnr.ga.gov|
|License Reviewer/Inspector||Gregory Reese||Gregory.Reese@dnr.ga.gov|
|License Reviewer/Inspector||Shatavia Walker||Shatavia.Walker@dnr.ga.gov|
|License Reviewer/Inspector||John Hays||John.Hays@dnr.ga.gov|
|License Reviewer/Inspector||Roger Wilsonemail@example.com|
|License Reviewer/Inspector||Leslines Levequefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|License Reviewer/Inspector||Stacy Allmanemail@example.com|
|License Reviewer/Inspector||Sheree Butlerfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|License Reviewer/Inspector||Avery Roneyemail@example.com|