Georgia's Asbestos Program administers the Georgia Asbestos Removal and Encapsulation Rule by regulating activities that disturb asbestos. Georgia EPD also works with U.S. EPA Region 4 to administer the federal National Emissions Standard for Hazardous Air Pollutants (NESHAP) for Asbestos and the Asbestos Hazard Emergency Response Act (AHERA).
The program enforces these regulations by:
- Issuing licenses for asbestos contractors
- Accrediting training providers
- Collecting asbestos abatement and demolition project notifications
- Inspecting K-12 schools for compliance with AHERA
- Conducting outreach and education
- Developing technical guidance